Monday, March 27, 2006

Wildlife Sighting

I was driving back from Johns Island today (this is a rural part of Charleston County) and I saw something that I don't think I've every seen before. Maybe in a zoo once but I'm not even sure about that. Anyway, I was driving and I see this black thing fly down to the street. When I first saw it, it was only about a foot of the ground and it was pretty far away so I couldn't really judge its size. I thought, "Looks like someone's got a chicken loose," thinking that there were some farms nearby. Then I thought more clearly and figured it was just a crow.

But then I got closer. "That's one big crow," I thought. And I as I passed it, I realized what it was. A freakin' vulture! There was a second one that I didn't even see until I passed them. They were feasting at what looked like possum roadkill. Two vultures scavenging on some possum! Man, I wish I had a cameraphone.

No comments: