Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grammy Recap

Of my list from yesterday, only 1.5 wins. That's worse than random chance.

Why Kelly Clarkson? She won a surprising number of awards. I don't know if she's preferable to Mariah or not, but I just don't see it. Plus, Kelly Clarkson had a song about her dysfunctional relationship with her dad, which automatically puts her into the "should be forever disqualified for any awards" category in my book.

When Mariah came out to perform, I thought to myself "Wow! A dress that's actually tasteful." Then, I realized that what she was wearing was actually a skanky dress with a long, flowing skirt attached. I genuinely expected that bottom portion to come off mid-performance, at which time the crowd would have cheered and she would have launched into a more up-tempo song. Didn't happen, but that's probably for the best.

I waited all night for the Kanye West/Jamie Foxx performance, and I was not disappointed. As I told Mike, it was so good it almost reached Outkast-level goodness.

Was the Jay-Z/Linkin Park/Paul McCartney performance a way of subtly showing approval for Danger Mouse's Grey Album? Maybe, because I can summarize the flaw in that performance with two words: Linkin Park.

Today's mashup is "Beethoven's Fifth Gold Digger."

1 comment:

Michael said...

that mashup just reminds me of this NSTV sketch from a few years back where the rapper guy keeps going "yea" over Beethoven's Fifth.