Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Knit-a-long

I've been on a real knitting tear lately. I've always knitted mittens as a hobby, but lately I've been pulling off much more complicated and larger-scale projects. There are just so many cool knitting patterns and ideas out there!

I've also gotten involved in a new group that is getting together to provide knitting instruction and supplies to cancer patients. Our first knitting circle was tonight, and although there weren't many people, it was a start. I think this is a pretty cool idea, so I hope that the group takes off.

I promise not to turn this into a knitting blog, but here are a few of the items I've knitted lately:


A trio of sea creatures.
On the left is Nautie, the nautilus (pattern is from Knitty). In the middle is Larry the lobster (a pattern I made up as I went along (!)). On the right is Sheldon the turtle (pattern is from Knitty as well). The coolest thing about Sheldon is that his shell is a separate piece, so he can come completely out of his shell.



In a similar vein, I made this baby hat. It was inspired by this pattern, but I made mine differently, because I thought I could make it look a little more frog-like. I would like to make the matching booties, but this particular yarn is a real hassle to work with, so it's one of the projects that I keep on putting off.



I made these chemo caps for a member of our church. The left one is a crochet design I made up, with a crocheted flower pin attached. The right one is basically this Knitty pattern, but with the top done in k4-p1 ribbing rather than stockinette. And please excuse the appalling bathroom wallpaper.


These are three of the ballband warshrags I made. I found the pattern in Mason Dixon Knitting , but you can also find the pattern inside the ballband of Peaches & Creme yarn (which is what I used).

I'm not the only one who's been knitting. Here is Mike's felted belt. He used a pattern from Knitting with Balls, a book about men and knitting, which was a gift from Eulynn (it's written by a friend of hers). Thanks, Eulynn!



And last, but not least, an assortment of mittens and hats for Grandma's mitten tree next year.






1 comment:

Brad De Gregorio said...

Those sea creatures are awesome! How about a trilobite!