Monday, February 19, 2007

Give 'em the boot, the roots the radicals

Last week, Becky found an idea on this blog to have a weekly theme dinner night. I was game. I haven't cooked much since we got married. In fact, I'm not sure I've done any. But I figured the theme night would give me a challenge and motivation to get back in the kitchen. So, we made a list of possible themes, put them in a bag, and pulled one for last week. I pulled root vegetables. I had a week to come up with a menu that featured root vegetables. After a little cookbook searching, I came up with the following menu for Sunday night's dinner: quick-braised root vegetables with hoisin (courtesy of Mark Bittman's "Best Recipes in the World") served with brown rice, carrot walnut layer cake, and, of course, root beer.



The root vegetables were actually quite good. If you've never tried parsnips, I would highly recommend at least trying this root which is a good source of calcium, folate, potassium, and dietary fiber (according to the Publix flyer). The carrot cake was very dry, almost stale. I bought it at Earth Fare thinking they would have good prepared foods there. Well, I was wrong. Becky got Virgil's Root Beer and I got Boylan's Natural Root Beer. The Virgil's was very herbal, but the Boylan's was very vanilla-y which made it taste more cream soda than root beer.

Next week: Foods that start with "C"

3 comments:

Brad De Gregorio said...

I was flipping through channels one day and saw a few minutes of this cooking reality show (American Idol for chefs). Their competition was to design meals for each color. The red and purple meals looked the most interesting.

robwonton said...

Never tried braising vegetables with hoisin. Always looking for new ideas for veggies. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Rancid?