Monday, June 05, 2006

Ah, sweet nectar of the gods (possibly)...

Becky was reproposing her peppermint soda idea tonight. I think that it would be a fine and refreshing drink. But during our discussion, I came up with another idea: bottled horchata. Horchata is a Mexican rice drink with hints of cinnamon and almond. Anyway, it's delicious but unfortunately there's no bottled form and the powder drink mix you can buy at Wal-Mart is just plain disgusting. If you want to drink horchata you have to find an establishment that makes it or make it yourself from scratch which takes a while... until now. A quick google search produced this article on Bev.net from last week. I haven't tried Rosa's Original yet and unfortunately the nearest Walgreen's that stocks it is near Myrtle Beach. And the Georgia locations are in Gainesville. I'm curious about the strawberry and melon flavors. Those sound like bad ideas but who knows? I must find a way to get a hold of some. hIn the meantime, we found out the Rio Grande restaurant down the street serves mini-pitchers of horchata for $2.50 with free refills on the weekends. So I now know where I can get my horchata fix in Charleston. Unfortunately, there are no giant tortas to be found along side them.

Yes, I know. I once believed that Wild-Cherry Pepsi was the nectar of the gods, but I now feel that a well-made horchata may be the nectar of the gods.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Just looked around the Rosa's Original website and found this page of cocktail recipes. Now, a new more adult way to enjoy my horchata. This is getting better all the time. I also found out that all Meijer's and SuperTargets carry them in Michigan.

Michael said...

btw, becky, maybe this is what you were thinking of.

Becky said...

If you go to the Jones soda website, you can vote for new flavors. One of the flavors listed is peppermint, and it's getting lots of positive feedback.

Go here to vote for it. Given that you own a few shares of Jones soda, perhaps we could still make a profit off of the idea!