Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Curse of the Lettuce Monster

Last post, I mentioned that we had joined a CSA. Each week we receive a box of fresh produce from a local farm. The first few weeks we received a lot of greens. This week, we got more variety.

Here is what was in the box this week:

A large head of broccoli, some daikon radishes, and a pint of baby squash



A kohlrabi, some spring onions, and a large head of tatsoi

And two heads of lettuce (one red, one green) and a quart of strawberries

Every week, we have received two giant heads of lettuce. It's lovely lettuce, but it's taking over the refrigerator! And although I like salad, I don't love it so much that I want to eat it every day. Earlier this week, in desperation, I made lettuce soup. It wasn't particularly tasty, but it used up a lot of lettuce, so I was finally feeling that I had tamed the lettuce monster... and now I have two more heads to deal with!

The baby squashes are going to be fun to use, and the broccoli looks great. I've never fixed kohlrabi before, so that should be interesting.

No comments: