Wednesday, May 03, 2006

So So Def Afroman

On the drive back from Hartsfield airport going north on the I-75/85 connector, there used to be a giant billboard for Jermaine Dupri's So So Def Recordings. The billboard was sort of an Atlanta institution, at least in my mind. Basically, the billboard was of the So So Def Afroman and stated "Welcome to Atlanta, Home of So So Def Recordings," but the So So Def Recordings part was just the Afroman pic. Unfortunately, the billboard is no longer there.

But I recently came across a website where you can buy the So So Def Afroman figurine for $200. Man, I wish I had $200. Cause that's what I would buy. Or $200 worth of pudding.

By the way, So So Def was the label that first signed Kriss Kross. Daddy Mack will make ya Jump! Jump!

CORRECTION: I took Becky to the airport today and on the way back I saw the So So Def billboard. So, it is still up and the billboard says "Welcome to Atlanta, Home of So So Def Recordings" with the Afroman logo on the left of the text. I don't know what I was smoking but I really thought it was no more. But I'm glad it's still up to welcome visitors to the ATL. -Michael (05/06/06)

No comments: